Here we go again?!

The immigrant is tending babies today.  When she does that and it doesn't happen here, it adds to the chaos and confusion of keeping things ship-shape here at Lark Circle.  When she's gone taking care of me falls to me and I don't do such a hot job of that sometimes.  I try but things never look as nice and clean when I do them as when she does.

I did get a lot done today before setting out for work.  I mopped my bathroom and cleaned the carpet in my bedroom.  I washed the dishes I dirtied last night after work.  I swept which is a chore around here. And I went on a search and destroy mission to find the battery charger for my cordless drill.  It wasn't where I put it but I did manage to find it.  It's the beginning of the things I'm thankful for today.

I have a lot to be thankful for today even though it won't sound like it as I tell the story.  Some of it was my own fault for not doing what I needed to.  Lessons learned the hard way are usually the ones you take to heart and this one I will.  Believe me, I will.  It hurt the pocketbook on both ends.

I want to start out this story by saying I kind of had a feeling I should have stayed home today.  There's no reason to be driving in this if you don't have to.

I mentioned I needed the battery charger for my cordless drill.  I took it downstairs when we had a mini-issue with the plumbing and I didn't put it away.  Someone else did and I had to find it in the garage because the kitchen sink was backed up.  I fixed it just right before work and although late, I ventured off.

The sink couldn't wait because it drained into the dishwasher when I washed the dishes.  And when it filled up the dishwasher some of it leaked onto my tile floor.  I found this out when I about fell on and busted my butt.  Anyway, I put on clean clothes and rand a brush through my hair and walked out the door.

Getting to work was fun.  I almost got dead once.  The front end of Chevron tried to pass the back end but I was able to avoid going around and around.  When I got to work, I checked the truck to make sure it would start again.  Then I uttered a small prayer that the truck would start just one more time.


As I was walking into the hangar, I ran into a co-worker who opened the door and I followed him in.  He knows me and that I belong there.  As we were walking in, he said he called the supervisor on duty for today and told him he wasn't coming in.  Keep that in mind.  I wasn't going to but I told the guys if I could get out of the neighborhood I'd show up.  The snow wasn't nearly as deep as it is now so off I went after I got the sink put back together.

I checked in with the boss but told him I was leaving at seven-thirty.  Remember, the immigrant is tending babies at not here so someone's gotta let out the muttleys.  I don't want her driving in this any more than she has to.  I figured by then, it wold be early enough to run the snowblower without bugging the neighbors and I know from experience that to safely secure my vehicle in the driveway, I have to shovel it first or it'll slip down the driveway and land in the middle of the street.  It's happened before.

Anyway, off to work.  I talked to a couple of other co-workers and went to open my toolbox.  I knew the job I was going to do and went ot get tools to do it, but I looked down around my neck and that's when I noticed my badge and toolbox keys were not where they were supposed to be.  Damn.  There went $320.

I wasn't going to come back in this weather.  I spoke to the supervisor; told him what happened and told him "goodbye".  Off to the truck!

Which didn't start.

Here's where a whole bunch of grateful comes in:

Air Force bases are kind of like their own little city.  They have a department store, a grocery store, a convenience store and liquor store rolled into one.  They also have a garage that sells tires and batteries.  If you're familiar with the shopette on base, you know it shares space with the garage franchisee.  I bought a battery for my truck and a cheap set of tools that was on sale for $9.95 at the shopette.  The battery was $105.  I could have gotten one cheaper someplace else but I wasn't stranded someplace else.

I used to have things that would have helped me out in this situation.  I had a little toolkit I used to keep in my truck.  I also used to have jumper cables.  My middle boy has them both.  I'm not getting them back.

Anyway, I trudge the two blocks in the snow to the shopette/garage and get my battery and a set of tools they have I think will work.  I carry the battery back.  It's snowing hard by now.  I open the hood and that's when I realize the tools I have just bought will not be enough.  I wound up needing them anyway but I needed more tools.  Another trudge in the snow to the main BX.  Keep in mind that in the hangar, I have a great set of tools and access to just about any tool I would have needed but I couldn't access the hangar because my key-card is with my badge and toolbox keys.

I found some tools that would work at the BX.  I needed some screwdrivers too, so I bought a set instead of just one.  That would prove to be a great idea.  Again, the trudge through the snow back to the truck.  By now I'm getting a little cold,  I arrive at the truck and try to open the little plastic box and it wouldn't.  It was held shut with a phillips screw.

OK, I have two of those now with the set of screwdrivers I had to buy.  Opened them up, removed the screw, removed the tools to loosen a battery cable and the block that holds the battery in place.  The toolkit I bought is a 1/4" drive standard and metric set of smaller size sockets.  The first set of tools I bought was a 3/8" drive ratchet set that had larger size sockets.  I'd need that tool set to remove one of the battery cables.  I managed to get the battery changed despite the snow and now I have some tools that will live in Chevron.

When I was making the trek to the big BX, I remembered the lyrics to a song and I looked up to heaven and told God, "I just praise You in the middle of this snowstorm."  I was at a place where what I needed was available.  I wasn't supposed to work tonight.  I went when I should have stayed home and some things happened but God's plan for me was that He would use the circumstances to have me fix my truck.  The things I needed were there.  If I'd stayed home, things would have been different.

Home for some reason is where I belong tonight.  Home is where I'm at!

And waiting for whatever is coming my way!

I titled this thing here we go again.  I'd mentioned a while ago that my former GF/roomie was a lot like someone else I used to know.  Well the same things that happened before are happening again.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Didn't see that one coming

Just do it

It's no wonder that I wonder